If my parents information on my marriage license is incorrect do we have to correct the information for our marriage to be valid?

I accidentally mixed up my dad’s first
name and middle name and the street
number of my parents address is

Asked on August 10, 2018 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Minor clerical/administrative mistakes will not invalidate a marriage. Typographical errors happen all the time and will not give rise to the respective spouse's capacity to legally marry.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, the law will not invalidate a marriage for what amounts to minor "typographic" errors: that is, errors that have nothing to do with your or your spouse's identity, or your or your spouses ability to get married (e.g. that you are over the proper age, were not currently married to anyone else, were not mentally incompetent), or with your free choice or consent to get married. The errors you describe have nothing to do with the validity of your marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.