If my Mother died without leaving a Will and her property is now heirship, as Administratorover her estate am I allowed to sign a deed giving her property to my brother?

Asked on August 27, 2014 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to follow your state's law of intestate succession.  You do not have the power to arbitrarily decide who gets what.  You do not say upon what basis you are the administrator of the estate when there is no will naming you as such.  Regardless, you must follow state law for the division of property where there is no will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.