If I’m filing a sexual harrassment on my former employer, a major financial institution, should I be meeting them without a lawyer there with me?

They said that they will not speak with any lawyers or representative, only me. Why is that? What should I do?

Asked on February 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They have the right to refuse to speak to anyone they choose, unless and until there is a legal complaint against them and the government agency (e.g. the EEOC) uses legal process to compel them to speak to someone else (like the government investigator), or unless there is a lawsuit and, again, legal process is used to force them to speak to another (such as your attorney). What you should do is file the complaint and in the meantime, do *not* speak with or say anything to them--anything you inadvertantly say which is bad for your case can be sued against you. So file the complaint and let the investigator or lawyer take over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.