If I was struck by a car and were falsely put at fault, what evidence should I preserve?

The police report put me at fault because witnesses probably got mixed up with the color of the car (green) and the color of the light (yellow) when I crossed. I have huge scrapes, a sprained and badly scraped ankle (cannot walk without crutches), swelling, bodily pain, whiplash. I have the medical records from the ER of the day I was transported. I’m not positive wether the light was yellow or red when I crossed, but the stoplight always turns yellow right after pressing it. And I can prove that. What should I do to preserve evidence before contacting a lawyer? Pictures of my injured sites??

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the accident that you were involved in resulted in a traffic citation as to you, you should consult with an attorney that practices law in this area to contest the citation at the hearing coming up.

If you were not cited for the accident by law enforcement, you should consult with your presumed insurance carrier about the incident and make a report as to it. Your insurance carrier will conduct an investigation with respect to the matter. If you get sued in a civil matter arising out of the auto accident, make sure you tender your defense of the matter to your insurance carrier as soon as possible after service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.