If I was involved in a car accident and was not at fault but the other driver was not insured at the time, what should I do?

Basically, I had a green light and someone ran a redlight and hit my car. My car is no longer drivable. The other other driver and I exchanged info but the his insurance company is saying that he was not covered at the time.

Asked on June 21, 2017 under Accident Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

For property damage, assuming that you are the registered owner of the car, you can file a claim with your insurance company under your uninsured motorist coverage. Your insurer will then subrogate the claim and pursue its remedy against the at-fault driver. In the event that you are also uninsured or have insurance but no uninsured motorist coverage, then you can sue the at-fault party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.