I was side swiped by a cta bus, but they said their camaras didn’t catch any footage. what do i do? I have a police report and damage report.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was side swiped by a cta bus, but they said their camaras didn’t catch any footage. what do i do? I have a police report and damage report.

I was picking up a customer while driving Uber, but, before my customer came to the car a CTA bus side swipe me and crashed my mirror and bumped my car. I have the route number, but not the bus number so they denied my claim.

Asked on June 21, 2017 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The CTA denying your claim only means that they are not going to voluntarily pay you any compensation (e.g your repair costs). You still have the right to sue them for the damage: if you sue, you will have the chance to present your claim, your testimony, and any evidence you may have to a court, which will then decide whether you have sufficiently proved your case. If you do, the court will order the CTA to pay you. Be aware that suing a city agency generally requires submiting a notice of the pending claim in addition to filing the summons and complaint with the court: the CTA website may have information about the form(s) you need to submit. (If it doesn't, try contacting their legal department.) Suing in small claims court, to minimize costs (e.g. you can be your own lawyer, or "pro se") may be a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption