If I want to comission someone to write an article for my blog, do I need him/her to sign a release form of some kind?

Is there any difference if the author’s name is changed, like “host writing”?

Asked on February 26, 2015 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be wise to have him/her execute an agreement stating that the article is written as a "work made for hire" and that should the work not be considered a work made for hire, he or she irrevocably assigns all his/her right, title, and interest in the work, including copyright, to you. This way you can be sure you will own copyright.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.