Can I legally write my own paycheck?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally write my own paycheck?

My boss has me write out paychecks to his other employees. He has failed to pay me for 3 weeks in a row. Can I write one of the checks that he has signed and given to me to myself?

Asked on August 19, 2011 Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What a louse. But I would not just write out the check to your self without having it be at his direction.  In fact, I do not think that I trust him enough from what you have written so I would want him to write the check out himself.  If you use one of the checks that he has signed without his consent it would be considered theft on some level.  Yes, he signed the check not you and yes, he has you write out paychecks.  But he did not authorize this check and that is the key.  Go and speak with him. Tell him you need to be paid now.  It is unfair and you are entitled to a paycheck.  If he does not report him to the Department of Labor.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption