If I never worked during my marriage and am still unemployed but give custody to my husband, would I be ordered to pay child support?

And also, would I get alimony?

Asked on July 18, 2015 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Alimony is your state is based upon many factors - such as the length of your marriage and your contribution to the marriage (being a stay at home mom is a factor) - but it is discretionary by the court.  Child support is paid by the non-custodial parent so if you give physical custody to your ex spouse then the court could now say get a job and pay support.  Please seek legal help here before you make any written consolations.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.