Would being under the influence of a mind altering substance such as alcohol make a statement made to police inadmissible

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would being under the influence of a mind altering substance such as alcohol make a statement made to police inadmissible

If a victim/witness made a
statement or even just talked to
police about an incident, and later
signed an affidavit saying they
were under the influence of say
alcohol at the time would it make
their conversation/statement no
good? And then charges could
possibly be thrown out if this was
the basis of the charge?

Asked on August 12, 2018 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is possible that the statement could be thrown out--and if it was the only evidence for the charge, the charge itself dismissed--IF the person can be shown to have been so intoxicated as to not be mentally competent at the time. Merely having taken a mind-altering substance does not automatically invalidate the statement; there must be evidence (e.g. an expert opinion by some relevant medical expert or practioner, who examined the person at the time or reviewed blood, etc. tests taken then) to show that the person was not legally competent at that moment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption