If I am making payments to a creditor and have not received any further notice of collection, can they legally capture my state tax refund?

My state tax refund was captured my a medical facility but I have made payment arrangements with them and have never missed one. They did not send me anything letting me know this would happen. Is this legal?

Asked on March 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written agreement with the judgment creditor allowing only for monthly installments owed, the judgment creditor can seek other means to satisfy the judgment you owe including, but not limited to levying upon your tax return from your state of residence.

Unfortunately for you, what you have written about seems allowable by the judgment creditor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.