If my husband and I have dual ownership of a house, how do we add our daughter as a co-owner?

UPDATED: May 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I have dual ownership of a house, how do we add our daughter as a co-owner?

My husband and I have dual ownership of a house for which we are still paying a mortgage we have loan modification approved for a number of years). What steps have to be taken in NY to add our 23 year-old daughter to the title of the house without transferring the mortgage obligations to her? Is there any difference if she is married or single? What type of deed should we pick for this process?

Asked on May 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can add her to the deed of the house by transferring the deed from you and your husband alone to you and your husband and your daughter.  But you need to be aware of what your mortgage says about that and if it "accelerates: the mortgage to be due and owing.  That could be an issue for you. Your transfer to her is an inheritance of sorts and no, it does not matter if she is single or married.  It is her separate property.  I can not tell you what type of deed to use here and honestly this may not be the correct way of estate planning for you.  It may be a better idea to transfer the property in to a trust nd have your daughter be the beneficiary of the trust when you pass away or even the trustee (although not always a good idea; it depends).  Also, you should consider some type of mortgage insurance should you pass away and leave a mortgage so she would get the house free and clear.  PS  Are there siblings here?  You need to seek help in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption