If a doctor illegally preformed a drug test on me during a visit without my consent or even knowledge, what route would I have to go through to get my medical files ammended?

Asked on December 9, 2015 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Even if the test was performed without your consent or knowledge, it's results are part of your medical history. You cannot compel the medical practice to alter their records of test results and, in fact, if they were to do so, they would be violating their ethical obligations (not recording accurate information) and could make themselves potentially liable if the lack or incorrect information causes some harm to you later in any way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.