What can I do about dental malpractice?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about dental malpractice?

I had been going to the same dentist since I was little. I’ve always had perfect teeth not one cavity not even any teeth they were worried about. I had new insurance that didn’t cover my normal dentist so I went to a new one. They said I had two cavities and 6 teeth they were worried about. I was confused and really sad. One of the cavities was poorly done and I couldn’t eat or drink anything, it even gave me migraines. I was flossing that cavity and it came out half way it was extremely painful. They redid it but it’s still sensitive. Recently I got to see my dentist again they said there are no cavities not even teeth to be worried about. They ruined my teeth for no reason. What can I do?

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the who did unnecessary and/or negligent (sloppy or careless) work for any medical/dental costs to correct the problems, any lost wages, and possibly some amount of additional money for "pain and suffering" for living with the sensitivity. However, malpractice suits can be expensive, because you'd need a medical/dental expert to testify for you, and they don't work inexpensively. A good first step is to consult with an attorney who does medical malpractice cases (many provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case; you can check on this becasue making the appointment); the lawyer can evaluate what you case might be worth, how strong it is, and what it cost to bring the case, and you can then decide what to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption