What legal action I can take against a car seller who failed to provide me with proper documentation to take ownership of a car?

I purchased a car from a dealer who does business through a local auto auction. I received an Affidavit and Notification of Sale of Motor Vehicle signed by myself and the seller with “paid in full $1200 92 Honda Accord” written by seller on the bottom. I was told it would take 7-10 days to get the title changed over. I also received a 45 day temp plate which expired on 5/6/12 leaving me unable to drive the car. I have yet to receive the title from the seller. I have attempted to contact him over 30 times in the past 5 weeks. I have learned he has yet to file the paperwork with the DMV.

Asked on July 14, 2012 under General Practice, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ok, you need to contact your state Attorney General's office and file a complaint with the organization that licenses car dealerships in South Carolina. Then I would start an action in small claims court for breach of contract and for return of the $1200.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.