If I won a judgement in small claims court for $805 but the defendant filed for bankruptcy, is there anything I can do to collect or at least be put on the list of creditors?

00 against a renter that moved out and didn’t pay her last months rent.I was unable to collect any money so I paidd another $100 to have her wages garnished. The company that she works for replied back that the could not garnish her wages because she had filed for Chapter 13. As far as i know I’m not listed as a creditor.

Asked on January 26, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since you are on notice of the bankruptcy filing of the debtor that owes you money but you have not received any bankruptcy notices, I suggest that you go down to the bankruptcy court and file a creditor's claim to protect your interests from being discharged. In the alternative, you should consult with a bankruptcy attorney or your local legal aid clinic for guidance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.