What can I do if my significant other robbed me of my life savings?

I wired money and wrote a heck for a substantial amount of money to my significant other under the understanding that he was going to invest it and it was to be a business agreement. None of the money has been returned and he says it’s gone. No proof of where it went and says he won’t repay it because every investment involves risk. He basically robbed me of my life savings. Anything I can do about it?

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that he lied to you--i.e. that he did not intend to invest it--you could sue him for fraud (for lying about a material, or important, fact, to induce you to send him the money) to try to recover the funds. Or if you think that once he had the money, he simply took and kept it, then you could him either instead or in addition for "conversion," which is type of theft--stealing something entrusted to you. If you believe he was simply unreasonably careless with the money (e.g. the  "investment" was going to a casino or the track), then he may have violated the fiduciary duty one busines partner owes his partner(s). The situation where you would not have a case is where he is did (and can prove) that he invested it in reasonable (even if not the best--simply "reasonable") investments which failed; in that case, as unfortunate as the situation, he did nothing legally wrong (possibly he was stupid in his investment strategy, but the law allows stupidity). 
If he's not providing documentation, however, then there's a good chance that he did act improperly and a lawsuit is very likely justified. If a "substantial" amount of money was involved, you should consult with an attorney about the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.