What to do if I’m charged with a marijuana felony possession with intent to sell?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m charged with a marijuana felony possession with intent to sell?

I am pleading not guilty and am curious, on my first court day after not taking a plea deal, if the superior court will drug test me to try and use it as evidence against me if I’ve been smoking marijuana. Is this a common thing done or shouldn’t be worried about that? I would think catching someone with pot in their system would be a reason to suspect them even more of the crime.

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The court can impose random drug testing as a condition of your bond.  If you violate a condition of your bond, it can be used against you as punishment evidence later.  It would not necessarily be relevant or admissible to the issue of guilt/innocence. 
If you're on bond, avoid using any substances.  You run the risk of another charge if caught and, thus, stiffer penalties.  Presume that anyone giving or selling you anything illegal is a CI looking to work up more charges against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption