What can I do if I was told by my boss that my position had been “redefined” to basically exclude me from being in the office and only work externally on an as needed basis?

That said, my boss then hired her daughter for the same exact position I have been doing, and giving her the work I would be doing before my position was “redefined”. The daughter and I have the same job title, only she is allowed to work in the office and I am not. Is this common?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately nepotism is not illegal; your boss can give her daughter some of your duties. Discrimination in employment is not illegal unlesss it is based on gender, race, religion, disabilty, etc. In other words, absent legally actionable discrimination, all employees need not be treated the same or even fairly. 

Also, as for your change in duties, unless it violates company policy, a union contarct, an employment agreement or the like, it is lawful. The fact is that for the most part an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.