What can I do if a co-worker has been harassing me for the past 1 1/2 years by making up stories of things that I’ve I never done?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if a co-worker has been harassing me for the past 1 1/2 years by making up stories of things that I’ve I never done?

She has been going around the whole company talking behind mine back, including to my manager. She has convinced the manager into giving me all the low duties because I am the youngest,

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have a couple of potential options.

The first is to go and talk to the HR (human resources department) to raise a concern about workplace harassment.  Sometimes this will resolve minor issues before they get worse. 

A second option is to arrange a consultation with an employment law attorney.  There has to be a motivation behind her actions.  If she is simply a horrible person to everyone, then you won't have an employment law complaint.  However, if her actions are based on some type of other bias (gender, races, sexual orientation), then you may have a complaint for workplace harrassment.  These types of complaints usually have to be filed first with the government agency, then you can file a lawsuit, if needed. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption