What will happen if I was recently arrested as an employee of a major retail store for stealing merchandise totaling almost $3000?

It was mostly movies, games and a couple giftcards. Anyway, lesson learned, my court date is in 5 months. I have never been arrested, or in trouble with the law prior to this first offense. Will I be arrested, charged to pay the money back, or both?

Asked on February 4, 2013 under Criminal Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will most likely face both as the amount sounds like it is a felony charge. The degree of penalty depends on your state's statutes in criminal law. If this your first offense, you need to figure out whether you can afford private counsel or need one appointed for you.  Either way, talk to your attorney about alternative convictions (wherein you can pay restitution, do community service and stay out of trouble for a certain period of time).  If you meet all the conditions, you can probably be eligible to have the court matter dismissed and all records expunged but you need a lawyer to determine if this is available in your state and if you can expunge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.