If I was rear-ended with no bodily injuries except an ER visit and the insurance company is denying the claim, how can I fight this?

I was rear-ended, leaving a center turn lane. The driver admitted liability on the scene, and has now told his insurance a different story. How can I fight this to have my repairs taken care of?

Asked on March 28, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue the at-fault driver (the driver, not the insurer). If you can prove in court by a "preponderance of the evidence" (that it is "more likely than not") that the other driver was at fault--which is likely, if you were rear-ended; the law presumes that unless there is evidence to the contrary, that the rear drier in a collision like this was at fault, since he should have maintained a safe following distance, speed, etc.--you can get a judgment against him for your repair costs, at which point either he or his insurer should pay. You can use your testimony, other witness testimony, a police accident report (though you will have to subpoena the officer to testify in court), etc. to prove your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.