What to do if I was ordered to pay restitution 15 years ago but never did?

I never paid but still got released from probation. This was in another state. Now, I just got a letter stating they will garnish wages and suspend my license if payment of $55,000 is not received in 10 days. So can they garnish my wages if I live and work in another state?

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under California Government Code sections 12419.8 and 12419.10, civil action may be taken against you, which would result in a judgement, which can include added fees, garnishment of your wages, and liens against your property. A judgement in one state can be registered in another state and collected there.  So yes, they can. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.