If I was in prison for a year and unable to pay my student loan so it defaulted and sold it to collectors, is there any government law/policy that can help me?

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you under federal law you cannot discharge a student loan under a bankruptcy filing. Likewise I know of no federal program to assist you in your matter. The only suggestion I have for you is to contact the debt collection company and arrange for a written monthly payment schedule to pay down what is owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.