What to do if I was intoxicated last night and don’t recall my night but woke up with a ticket charging me with obstruction 2nd, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct?

I am 18 and never committed a crime before, I was arrested by university police and don’t know what to expect or do when I go to my hearing.

Asked on September 14, 2014 under Criminal Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What you should do is hire an experienced municipal law attorney to represent you. Experienced counsel will maximize your chance of having the charges dropped or at least reduced, and of getting a minimum punishment. Be aware that being intoxicated and/or not remembering what transpired is not a defense to any of those charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.