If I am with someone who is in possession of drugs, am I too in possession of them?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am with someone who is in possession of drugs, am I too in possession of them?

If I intend to use those drugs but have not yet, am I breaking the law? Is intent to use without having drugs on my person illegal? If my friend was caught with drugs and I was with him, can it be proved that I intended to use or was privy to his possession?

Asked on September 15, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Intent by itself does not equal crime. But intent coupled with any assistance at all could make you guilty of being an accomplice (also called aiding and abetting liability) or of conspiracy. And, or course, if you were near the drugs, the authorities may believe that they were yours, too--especially if your friend tries to get a better deal for himself by claiming that some or all of the drugs were yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption