If I was fired at 8 months pregnant for refusing to sign a written warning, is this legal?

They also told me I lacked interest in the company. I had never been writtren up before but within a 2 week timeframe have been written up twice. Then 2 weeks before this incident my non-pregnant co-worker broke HIPPA regulations and is still employed.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It may be illegal. The law prevents harassment of or discrimination against an employee because she is pregnant--and that applies even if the treatment is allegedly based on some other issue or conduct, if the facts do not support that claim and suggest the real reason is harassment of or discrimination against a pregnant employee.

However, if there was some actual violation or performance issue, you could be disciplined for it, even though you are pregnant; being pregnant does not excuse legitimate work issues. So the key factor is whether or not there were grounds for the disciplinary action; if there were not, you may have grounds for a legal action. If you feel there were no grounds for the action, you should consult in detail about the situation with an employment law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.