If I was driving by a construction site and wet cement fell on my car, is the construction company liable for this damage to my car?

I was driving by a construction site and wet cement fell on my car. The construction company is refusing to pay for the full cost of the repair. I did not call the police right away and was told it was too late to file one directly at the


Asked on March 4, 2016 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to obtain the name, address, and telephone number of the construction company's insurance carrier and file your claim for property damage (cost of repairs) to your car directly with the insurance company.  The construction company is liable for the damage to your car.
If the case is settled with the insurance company, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance company, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the construction company.
Depending on the amount of damage to your car, you may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) should include the cost of repairs to your car and court costs which would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.