If I was charged with drunk in public and underage possession, will I have to do jail time?

I had got way too intoxicated. I had blacked out and woke up in jail. I had cooperated with the police, as I was told and placed in jail for 12 hours and released. The magistrate said I would only have to pay a fine for drunk in public and do community service, pay a fine, and take a class for the underage possession. This is my first time being in trouble with the law besides a speeding ticket. Is this what I should expect or will there be a possibility of me getting a suspended license and jail time? Is there a possibility of getting these charges dropped? Should I hire a DUI lawyer? I’m in Harrisburg County, VA.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were arrested for public intoxication with no driving of a motor vehicle, you do not need to worry about your driver's license being suspended. You have already spent time is jail, so that I doubt that you will receive any more jail time.

If the magistrate advised you that the penalty was a fine, community service work and attending a class about the dangers of drinking alcohol, then you should have nothing else to worry about regarding your underage possession of alcohol.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.