How can I get money that I invested in a business returned to me?

I was approached by a friend to invest $1200 in his construction company which in return I would receive 15-20% on each additional job he had from that moment on. However it is my understanding per this said individual that he sold that company to another and my investment and return are not available until that new company finishes a casino project. I have no idea if any of what he has told me is true. For 5 years I have requested a spreadsheet that entails the earnings per job and status of my investment yet I have been given nothing. I don’t know what avenue to take to get things going in order to acquire my investment and returns.

Asked on September 15, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you have been duped out of funds by a "friend."  You have a couple of different options.  The first is to file a "theft by fraud" allegation with the local law enforcement agency.  Basically, he tricked you into handing over the funds.  Sometimes law enforcement will decline these types of cases because over the civil overtones.  If that's the case... then you will have to file a civil suit.  The suit would be for conversion or fraud.  Conversion is basically the civil equivalent of a criminal theft charge. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.