If an expensive item was accidentally left in the back of a taxi, can I sue for a replacement?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an expensive item was accidentally left in the back of a taxi, can I sue for a replacement?

I immediately tried to contact the driver but he would not answer. The company’s customer service department took a month to respond to my lost item claim.

Asked on September 14, 2015 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, you almost certainly cannot successfully sue. The driver and company were not at fault you were the one who left the item behind, or lost it. The driver had no obligation to care for, protect, find and return, etc. your item, and you don't know and can't prove what happened after you left--for example, maybe another passenger or fare took. Given that you left it behind that the driver owed you no duty or obligation to protect or look after the item and that you can't prove what ultimately happened to it. were you to sue, you would almost certainly lose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption