What legal recourse, if any I can take if the office space I rented did not provide me with access to the building for 3 days?

This even though I was told I can pay and move in the same day and will have 24 hour access into the building. I could not get in and security was not at their post and it cause me undue hardship and emotional distress. I paid security deposit of $425, plus the first month of $425 because I was told I can move in same day and that was not the case. Additionally, I made a complaint about the blinds in the office not being functional (they cannot be pulled down at all) and nothing was done about it, as well as the fact that I am now being asked to pay an additional $100 for the security deposit 2 weeks later.

Asked on April 23, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please read your lease which is the contract with your landlord who promised access.  Understand that what you agreed to is in there and oral promises are generally not admissable (unless they are to induce the signing of the contract). Also, you would have to show pecuniary loss - actual buiness loss.  Emotional distress will not be quantifiable and not likely compensated.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.