If I sold a car to a person who has only made 1 full and 1 half payment and owes $6000 on the vehicle but she will not return my calls, emails, texts, etc., what is my legal recourse?

Can I report the vehicle stolen? Can I have it repossessed?

Asked on October 6, 2015 under Business Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot report it stolen a failure to continute making payments pursuant to a sale agreement is not generally considered theft it is not a criminal matter but rather a civil one. And you cannot have it reposssed unless the agreement of sale specifically stated that you could repossess it if payments were not made on time. What you can do is sue the person for breach of contract, for the money she owes you i.e. for the remaining balance or payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.