If I rent a house to my niece who has an aggressive Pit-Bull, can I be liable if he attacks someone?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You and your niece would be liable if the dog injures someone whether the person injured is a trespasser or a guest on the property. There could also be liability to persons off the property if the dog escapes and injures them. Your niece would be liable because she is the owner of the dog.  You would be liable for injuries caused by the dog because you are the owner of the property.  If a person is injured by the dog, your liability could include compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering and documentation of wage loss.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.