If I received a partial check from my insurance company made out to me for payment of my son’s rehab, can they sue me if I don’t send the last payment?

And keep it instead. I sent the first payment to them. I was not happy with their services and my son relapsed 3 days later.

Asked on September 22, 2014 under Insurance Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

While I can surely understand your issues with the care, the method for filing a complaint is not keeping the check.  And yes, you can probably be sued because you most likely signed an agreement for payment when services were rendered that said that.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.