What can I do if I received a bill from my therapist for services provided 2 and 3 years ago?

My last contact via Bill, mail or phone was over a year ago asking for updated insurance information. I provided the information and confirmed payments for coming. Now, over a year later I received a bill this week saying that I still owe $300 plus dollars. Is this legal? I thought I was cleared and paid in full with this therapist.

Asked on November 15, 2014 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF you actually owe the money--they provided $300 worth of services which have not yet been paid for--you have to pay it, even though you though everything was paid in full and even though 2 or 3 years have passed--with one significant caveat or limitation. The statute of limitations for a claim like this in your state appears to be 3 years (whether there was a written or unwritten [oral] agreement for the provision of services, this would be a contract claim, so that statute of limitations is that for contracts), which means that they can only most likely recover for unpaid services provided 3 years or less ago at this point.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.