I purchased vehicle in my name only and want to know when we divorce in Texas if i will have to split since he doesn’t own one currently?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, only one of you will get it; you will to have to trade turns as it were.  If it is in your name that would most likely be you.  If there is other property, that will be split however, so if you get the car he will be entitled to something else.  That having been said, you may have to buy out "his share" of the car.  It all depends on your assets and the specific circumstance of the case; for instance what money was used to buy this assest - seperate or community property? 

Speak to your attorney about this.  They will know more.

L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Texas is a community property state.  Regardless of the title on the vehicle, if it was purchased during the marriage with community property funds (any money earned during the marriage), then it belongs to the community and will be equitably divided by the court.  If, on the other hand, it was purchased with separate funds, i.e., money your inherited, or earned before the marriage that was not comingled with marital funds, or money from settlement of a lawsuit, then the vehicle will go to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.