What to do if I purchased what was supposed to be new computer butit turned out to be used?

The computer came with anti-virus software that should give me 6 months free. I went to set up my computer and it was already set up with the anti-virus software already installed and with only 10 days left on it as opposed to 6 months. Also, I did not have to go through the set up process of this “new computer” because it had already been done. The most important question of this story is why are there 2 recordable CD’s (they are the ones you purchase blank at the store) and 1 says “recovery 2” and the “recovery 3” printed on the CD with a marker? What are my rights?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under General Practice, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You have a right to get what you paid for. If you were told you were buying a new computer, agreed to buy a new computer, and paid for a new computer, that's what you should have gotten. If instead you were given a used computer, you would have the right to seek either 1) to rescind the transaction--they get the computer back; you get all your money back; or 2) to receive compensation--to get the difference between what you in fact paid for the computer and the value of the used computer you received. If you can't work something out with the seller, you could take him, her, or it to court, including possibly small claims court to reduce your expense by representing yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.