What to do about a “Renunciation of Right to Administration and/or Nomination and/or Waiver of Bond”?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a “Renunciation of Right to Administration and/or Nomination and/or Waiver of Bond”?

My father died with no Will. My brother and I have received a “Renunciation of Right to Administration and/or Nomination and/or Waiver of Bond” from my sisters attorney. All 3 of the before mentioned options are pre-checked with my sisters name in place as the personal representative. Neither my brother or I trust my sister or want her to be the representative though we don’t wish to be it either. What could we expect depending on if we fill this out completely, partially, or not at all?

Asked on August 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is not an easy job to administer an estate and the options here are either you allow your sister to do so and ask for a bond if you do not trust her and hire a lawyer to monitor her or you or your brother do it too. Yopu can renounce your right, nominate her and NOT waive the bond. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption