If I pled guilty to felony theft over $500 about 17 years ago, is there anyway I can clear my record or at least be granted the ability to purchase a firearm?

I was 18 years old and very ignorant to law matters. I was told I would recieve a differed sentance of probation and the felony would be reduced to misdemeanor. I tried to purchase my son his first hunting rifle a month ago but was denied. The sporting goods shop helped me file an appeal. I recieved a letter from my state’s CBI stating that I was denied due to the “conviction”.

Asked on October 29, 2014 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to restore your ability to own and carry a firearm then your best bet is to try and obtain a pardon.  It is obvious to you now that you do not fit the criteria to seal the record (Colorado uses that term as do many other states). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.