If I was stopped by a police officer for shoplifting when I was 15 and I was sent to a probation officer, will it show up on my record?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was stopped by a police officer for shoplifting when I was 15 and I was sent to a probation officer, will it show up on my record?

The probation officer decided she would not send me to a judge and instead just had me write a 1 page essay. After I completed the essay she told me I could have my record expunged when I turn 18. So now what shows up on my record? When asked if I have been convicted of a crime, do I say yes?

Asked on October 29, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Here is the thing: while it does not sound as if you were ever arraigned on the charge, one would not be sent to a probation officer unless they were convicted of a crime. You have the gift of youth on your side meaning that juvenile records are generally sealed when they turn 18.  But here is what I would do: run a background check on yourself and see what comes up.  It is the only way you will know what the next steps are and what you can answer to that question: have you been convicted of a crime.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption