What to do if I had an accident whileI had afriend’s car and paid for all auto damages but later found out that she also had her insurance pay for the cost?

My friend went to out-of-state and left her car in my position. While I had it the car was hit on the side while it was parked. I didn’t get a police report so my friend told me that her insurance wasn’t going to pay for it because I didn’t get one. So I agreed to pay all cost which was $2100 and wrote a notarized letter stating I will do so. Later I asked for the estimates and noticed that her insurance paid for it also. Can she get paid twice for this?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Obviously your friend was paid twice for the same damages for her car. Once by you and once by her insurance from what you have written. She should not be able to recover a double recovery.

Either she returns to you the money you gave her or she returns the money her insurance carrier paid her for the repairs. If she refuses to do one or the other she is not much of a friend in my opinion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.