If I own property at a camping resort with no permanent structuresand a neighbor installed mobile home and lives there year round, how do I request removal?

The resort in question has by-laws which specifically state no permanent structures. It wouldn’t bother me as much, except that now when we camp there, we are essentially camping in someone else’s back yard. The intent of the property was clearly outlined as recreation property only. Utilities are cutoff from fall to summer. I’m just not sure where to start. I called the president of the association who said it was “too expensive to fight”.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to sue to enforce the by-laws, as a party to the agreement/contract with the resort under which the by-laws are promulgated. For example, you may be able to sue the association, seeking a court order against them requiring them to enforce the by-laws. Alternately, if the assocation would be willing to take action but for the cost, one option is for you and them to both take action againist the infringing neighbor, with you footing the legal bill. The first step in ascertaining what to do is to take a copy of the bylaws and any/all agreements with the resort and association, including any deeds, to an attorney to review with you; the precise language of the documents will be critical to determining your rights. One issue: what constitutes a "permanent" structure, and is a mobile home one?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.