What to do if I have not been paid by a general contrator that I did sub-contract work for?

I’m an electrical contractor. We took on several jobs, locally and in neighboring states, as a subcontractor for an out of state general contractor. He started paying his bill, then stopped. He always answers either his phone or texts fairly quickly. He always tells us he mailed a check or sent it overnight but never gives us a tracking number and the check never comes. The amount is $11,557 and this would help us a lot. What are my options?

Asked on September 25, 2012 under Business Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were a licensed subcontractror and di work for a general contractor and have not been paid, I suggest that you look into perfecting your lien on the work of improvement on the project you did work on if the time period is not too late to do so.

Consulting with an attorney that does construction law is suggested on this subject.

Another option is to do a demand letter for payment by the general contractor bya certain date. Keep a copy of it for future reference and need.

If the due date for payment comes and goes, your recourse is to file a lawsuit against the general contractor. Should such be the situation, you should consult with an attorney that practices construction law to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.