If I’m a personal rep for an estate, do I have to flie taxes at the end of the year and, if so, does that mean that the money need to be held just in case?

We just sold an house and the proceeds are to be spilt between people listed in the Will. I plan to open and estate bank account so I can deposit the check and then distribute it to eact person. I don’t want to pay out the money then it comes back the money is owed for taxes or something.

Asked on March 27, 2013 under Estate Planning, Maryland


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You shold have a lawyer help you with a probate estate.  These matters are too complicated to handle without a lawyer.

I do not know what kind of estate taxes are imposed by the State of Maryland.  There are no federal estate taxes unless the value exceeds $5 million.

However, I suggest you do not distribute any proceeds without making sure that all the estate affairs are in order.  This includes gathering claims from all the possible creditors, paying the legitimate claims, fighting about illegitimate claims, paying the lawyer, paying the personal representative, preparing and paying any state or federal taxes, etc.  Only when all these items are complete, can you distribute funds to beneficiaries.

I hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.