What to do if my roommate seized my bank-owned TV the day that I was moving because he claimed that I owe him money?

I know that in the law, creditors need to get writ from the court of the law in order to go to someone’s house to seize borrow’s property(s) who defaulted in the payments. Is this case still the same in order to seaze my property that I am still paying on, he has to go to court first to get a permission?

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon the facts of what you have written what your roommate did was in violation of all the laws of each state in this country. I would write him or her a letter demanding the return of the item by a certain time. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. If you do not get the return of the item by the due date, small claims court seems to be your legal option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.