How can I go about getting custody of them from here?

I live in one state and my 2 boys are in another with their dad. We didn’t go through the courts to come to that decision. He made that decision through threats.

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


B Elaine Jones / The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Dear Ms. - You will have to go to the state where the children are residing if they have been there long enough to establish residency.  In Florida residency requirement is 6 months.  Find out what the residency requirements are in the state where your children are.  If they haven't met the requirement yet then you can file where they last resided. Hope this helps you out.


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.