I live in Connecticut. I need to get copies of my pay stubs from s job I was terminated from. Although they gave me the information to access it online, I can’t gain access. Is it legal to withhold them? I need them for a pressing legal matter

Need copies of pay stubs. I cannot access provided.
Was escorted out the door after three weeks for not
bring a good fit so I couldn’t get them then.

Asked on September 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal: they (presumably) provided them previously; it is not their responsibility to re-provide them to you because you did not keep copies for yourself. The law does not require employers to supply paystubs to terminated employees in this situation unless, in the context of a lawsuit by or against you, in which the paystubs are relevant, you or another party to the suit subpoena them; if they are suboenaed in a lawsuit, they'd have to provide them.
Be aware that you *cannot* come onto or into their premises without their permission; if you go there and they ask you to leave and you do not, they could have you charged with trespassing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.