If I live in an apartment complex and a tree just fell through my window, what canI do?

I think the tree was not on the complex’s land and my landlord is removing the tree and it seems they are going to pay for the window to be fixed. But, I was wondering if there is anything I should do besides take pictures? Should I take action against the people who own the land where the tree came from? The land is an are just bought and cleared for more apartments to be built.

Asked on March 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the landlord is removing the tree, and if he's going to fix or  replace the window, then what action are you proposing? The legal system is designed first and foremost to compensate people for their losses; if you did not suffer any losses other than the cost of removal and the cost of a window and the landlord is picking those up, there's nothing to sue for. Certainly, if your property was damaged or you were injured, you may wish to sue; otherwise, take pictures and document everything in case you should need the evidence or documentation in the future. If you're fortunate enough to have not suffered any losses, though, once the landlord fixes matters, that should be the end.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.