I have discovered my exhusband purchased a property that bears my name. I did not sign for it. Letters have been sent with no response. What to do?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe your name was falsely signed on documents to purchase a piece of property you should really contact a local attorney who can help navigate you through the process of clearing this up. It is illegal to forge documents and if your husband did this than he is liable for such forgery. You also may have an issue with the closing attorney and broker if they all knew you were not aware of the deal

You should consult with an attorney and explain the situation. Bring all the documentation you have to the meeting and see where they advise you proceed to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.